Recipe in “Vera” theme
Mussels with fennel and chorizo
A great summery dish, also great for cooking on a bbq. The chorizo juices mingle with the juices from the cooked mussels in the most delicious way.
- 2 kg fresh mussels in the shell
- 1 tb spoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, dices or pressed
- 150 grams of chorizo
- 1 bulb of fennel, in medium pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 100 ml of white wine
- Clean the mussels and remove all broken or open shells
- Saute the onion and the garlic for about 3 minutes in a large pot
- Add the chorizo and bake crispy in a couple of minutes
- Then add fennel, bay leaf and mussels and wine
- Put a lid on the pan, and cook on a high heat for 8 – 10 minutes
- Halfway the cooking time, toss the closed pan to stir the mussels around
- The mussels are ready when all mussel shells are open
- Serve with some creme fraiche and some freshly chopped parsley and do not forget to include bread for soaking up the amazing juices!
make sure to buy a good tasty chorizo, as that is a big contributor to the end result of this dish!